Saturday, March 10, 2018

Sorry Charlie!

I've always wanted to use that phrase on a pet. My father coined that phrase many years ago when he created Charlie The Tuna.

Charlie came into our lives on the first of March. It was not planned. On the 3rd we had Steph, Steve, and the grand kids come for the weekend. Charlie got to play with their beagle, Angel.

I mean really, is this not cute? They really did so well together. I even thought of titling this photo as "Charlie's Angel". Oh how retro TV!

Charlie explored the great outdoors. I could not resist laughing at the size of him next to Rich's truck.

Little Puppy, Big Dreams.


How on earth will Charlie ever pee on that tire???

When we got the call that my MIL had fallen and 'can't get up',  the tone of everything changed. After a stay in the hospital and several evaluations, my MIL has been taken to a nursing home for rehab and further evaluations.
It has been a very stressful week with family.

But Charlie has been the source of laughter and amusement along with distraction.

Charlie discovered snow during the little blizzard we had. He got stuck in the deep snow and figured out how to make his way around in tracks and footsteps of humans.


Yesterday was nice in the afternoon.
When we got back from the VA. Charlie spent time with me outside exploring.

His potty training has gone very well considering all of the disruptions we've had this week.
He has excelled at crate training too.

He is learning ... or teaching me some Charlie communication. One or two whirls near the rugs at either door mean poop time. Sometimes a paw on my foot with a whine means pee time or nap time.
No problem, we are figuring it out.


He has developed a ravenous appetite.

I don't have any action shots of him tearing about with his toys but he spends a lot of time running around with them.
Sometimes he gets the zoomies. When he hits the slippery kitchen floor he simply drops onto his tummy and does a four paw drift as he slides and in a wink he is up and running the length of the kitchen.

He has begun leash and 'area' training. I wish I had a lighter rope to use. I think I will have to go see if I can find something at the hardware store.

What I mean by 'area' training is letting Charlie understand that he can only go about 20 feet from me and stay in that 'area'. He needs to keep an eye on me and pay attention.
He is too young for much, but he can learn to come when called and to stay close. He is doing that fairly well except when he is in the yard pouncing on pine cones and maiming them.


During this week, Charlie has acted like a therapy dog. He makes people laugh with his antics and without thinking, Rich scoops him up and carries him while petting him.
We know how well petting an animal can sooth the soul.

We've needed some soul soothing this week.


He is little. His heart is big.

And yesterday morning when he got under foot I must have stepped on his toes. He squeaked and I said a big laugh, "Sorry Charlie!"


5 comments:

  1. Sorry about the stress level regarding your MIL. Your photos of Charlie are spectacular and he could not be more adorable. What does he think about Dixie. How about making a 20 foot rope out of baling twine? That's light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like a new puppy to bring joy into your life:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you got this beautiful pup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori! Dixie and Charlie met today and they hit it off so well!
    I am still considering my options, but twine would work, I have a lot of it.
    Dancing Donkey, nothing like puppies at all!
    farm buddy, thank you, he has brightened our days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is so cute how could anyone resist? A piece of string might work he is so little...package string or a piece of braided yarn...I would tie it to him and to you and then he will learn really fast:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.