Thursday, February 01, 2018

Meanwhile on the farm


Well, it seems the gals and Fred are doing quite well this winter. I often see Mica or one of the bays sleeping on the huge old hay pile in the sunlight, soaking up the warmth into their heavy winter coats.
We have had wild swings of temperatures. Two weeks in a row we had warm temps that got up to 50 degrees and made everything into mush.
Then someone turns the thermostat down and we get onto a freeze.
Pools of water turn into skating rinks and the mules and cattle tip toe around the icy spots.

Morris and Dixie have had a few days where they could get out and play together.
Morris won't go too far before he decides it is time to go home on our walks.
Dixie is good and doesn't complain, she defers to the elder dog and is always submissive to him.

Winter afternoons are for sitting on the porch and watching the stock tank fill with water.
Dixie has no idea that she is not a lap dog/puppy anymore. I am so glad I trained her not to jump on me, or not to try to sit on my lap while I am in a chair. She knows it is okay to 'cuddle' if I am sitting on the ground. That is a lot of dog to have in one's lap.

I put a large dog crate in the back of the Subaru and wanted to see if Dixie would go in it. When she was a pup, she did have a crate for a time in the tiny house. She was very good about 'crating' up. I showed her the crate, she put her paws on the bumper of the car and I encouraged her with a slight lift.
She was in. I gave her a treat and she practiced getting in and out. She learns new things so fast.

We are set to go on a Trail Challenge Hike together. It will be nice to have company. Dixie is very easy to talk to. ... And she never reveals what I tell her in confidence.

Morris's appetite is waning again, the vet says we can keep infusing him with fluids once in a while but his blood work is heading south...slowly. He spends 90% of his time doing this:

Once he starts showing pain we will make a decision.

Stella and Hank are doing well. I've decided to keep cleaning their 'stall' and keep them in until the weather breaks. I don't want them dealing with the wild swings of temperatures at this time.

10 large square bales were delivered by Hay Man Daryl to the ridge top. We have 10 more coming before mudseason. Those were stored in the round pen.
I've made plans for selling the culls of the Dexter herd at auction this spring.

By the end of spring, we will have the mules, 15, and 6 Dexters which will include Stella and Hank.

I've been doing a work out each day. One hour of hiking equals about a mile in our hills. Dixie accompanies me most of the time.


Rich is not doing well with the colder temperatures, it is very hard on him.

Our motto is one day at a time.

This ends the Farm Report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.