Wednesday, February 21, 2018

It's Time ~by Morris

I looked up at her as she came in from her last 'exploration'. She put away her camera bag and strode over to the couch where I was laying to check on me.

"How are you doing buddy?"

I am always her buddy. I am always her pal.

Her hands gently caressed my fur.
I tried to tell her that I really didn't feel good. She stood up and walked to my feed bowl. It was still full.
I admit it. The new food she got was awesome and I am a glutton. I loved the soft food, special diet food she had told me. Just for me!

Special indeed. However. I had no interest in food. I barely even wanted water. I had this thing that took over me and made me shake. SHE called it pain. I called it 'nasty'. I shut my eyes and went back to sleep.
How awful. I used to spin, bark, and jump, at the mere idea of going on a hike with her.
Who would watch over her now?
Dixie? 
Well.
I guess.
I can at least say that Dixie does pay such close attention to her every move.

My ears are quiet. Seems I can't hear much. My eyes seem dim. I'm afraid to get off the couch.
My...something hurts. I shake.

She picks me up. How did it get to be so dark outside? What did time do?
She takes me outside. She doesn't yell at me for trying to pee on the porch post.

I sense she is sad.
I walk slowly past her into the house.

I unable to drink. I can't find the water. She shows me, even puts some in a syringe and puts it down my throat.
I urp on her.
I'm so tired. Just let me go to sleep.

She must figure it out. She says something about it being the middle of the night and she picks me gently up and sets me on the couch. She covers me with warm blankets and holds me until I sleep.

In my dreams, I run and jump. Badger is there. I want to ride on Badger with her! We ride together through the woods. I am in the passenger seat in a snow storm. I MUST guide her through the storm. Okay, I had no idea how to do that so I took a nap. I eat frozen mule poop. She yells ICKY! I run.
There are kids. Lots of kids. They pass through my dreams and I follow them on adventures. Always adventures. So many adventures. Floods, storms, fireflies, barking at dangerous things, walking with kids, sledding, the creek, always to the beautiful creek.

There is light and She and He are looking at me. I can't raise my head, I squint my eyes. She lifts my foot and holds it. I don't have the strength to pull it away. I normally pull it away and jump up. 

"I am tired" I tell Her. So tired, so much pain. I just want to sleep. 
It is time.

RIP, Mr. Morris. We had fourteen years of adventures together. My life will always be better and more enriched because of you.



11 comments:

  1. Oh Morris, we will all miss you so much. The world was a better place because you had been in it, and your presence will always be felt by the people that love you. You were a lucky dog to have such a special person that cared enough about you to end any unhappy and unpleasant days that you might have had. Till we see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful touching story of your friend Morris. I am sorry he is gone but happy he will be forever with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest in peace Morris. Val, what a great tribute to your pal Morris. You are in our thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gone too soon, Mr. Morris. Forever wouldn't have been long enough.

    You were an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:24 PM

    I’m so sorry Val. What a wonderful life he had!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Val. I'm in a puddle of tears...such a sweet, sad and real tribute to our friend Morris. Good bye, Morris. We love you. I'm so glad that you are free. Thank you for being such a good boy. Happy Trail so you... until we meet, again. Sue, Wiley and Sparky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry morris was a great dog and family member....rip morris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could feel this coming after reading some of your posts. May that sweet little boy rest in peace. Your photo has me in tears and I can't imagine how you are feeling. Thank you for sharing him with us...such a touching post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. he was a lucky dog to have someone care so deeply for him. So sad to say so long see ya later. My sympathy:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodbye sweet Morris, I know that your charm, energy and leadership will be greatly missed. I am sorry for your person who must go one without you, but I hope you are running free along the creeks of your dreams.

    I am sorry Val that you had to say goodbye to your beloved friend. No matter how many years a dog lives it is never enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodbye sweet boy, you loved and were loved. Run free!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.