Friday, July 29, 2016

Big Rain and Lots of Fun

I looked at the weather on the radar, we were supposed to have a chance of rain and then it would move on.

Oh boy was the weather service wrong! After the first inch of downpour, I checked the weather again. NOAA had said that a line of thunderstorms had developed and stalled.

The expected rainfall could be anywhere from 2 inches to 4 before it moved on.

I stepped out on the porch and watched the rain come down in sheets. After that first downpour water started running across the yard and through my garden.


The water ran across the edge of the yard and right into the garden.

The damage was minimal after the waters receded. I went out to look at the garden and water still trickled through. 
Our ground is super saturated.


Just after the rain stopped I checked the radar and put on my chore boots. It was time to go see how the waters were running.


It came down from our neighbor's cattle pasture and had rushed to the spot where our little creek begins.


And from there the volume increased.

I stayed up on the bank for the most part because the water was still flowing too hard and too fast even though it had subsided from flash flood stage.



After the waters subsided a bit more, I did use this deer trail to get down into the creek and take some shots near the big rock.


Yep, worth the mud on the hands and the seat of my pants. However, climbing back out was interesting. Walking along the stream was not an option.

I went down to the last dry run we have before the creek goes into the neighbor's land.



The water had subsided, but the run off was still very impressive.

I decided to end my exploration there and not continue downstream.
The water would only be faster, deeper, and wider there. It could wait a day for me to go check it out.


I guess I am just a freak for mud, water, and fun in the rain.

I'm going to go search for my rain duster and check it out again today or tomorrow.

Really. I am not crazy. 
Perhaps I can find some cool fungi and mushrooms!

3 comments:

  1. we could use a little of that over here. Much of the northeast is in severe drought stage. You should have some lovely fungus to photo in a few days:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are still parched. I love the pictures...especially the running water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been saturated for over a week and have been spot on for moisture before that. So I wish I could send some of the excess your way!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.