Monday, September 08, 2014

Cameras and Such

I just finished reading a blog by The Dancing Donkey, the author had purchased a new pocket camera and it was giving her fits and starts.

I love my 'pocket' point and shoot cameras [ I think they have the most shots on them and they are on their last legs...], and my blogger friend makes some very valid points regarding photography in this day and age when everyone is taking photos.

I mean I see some fantastic stuff with phones that have cameras in them!  Who would have thought!!!  Back in the day of film...taking a photo with a phone???

But you can read about her thoughts and rules regarding cameras and photography in her post, I think I'm winning...

The reason I bring this up is because I have been 'told' that I am a creative person.  Creative thinking people [in my own opinion] don't like to be told that the sky is blue, the grass is green, and YOU must follow the rules of thirds in photography...
or many of the other rules that come along with a camera.

In today's age, I see the rules being tossed out of the window.  Hand a pocket camera or any camera to a youngster who just takes photos without regards to rules and you can get great results.



And in some ways that is great!

I usually don't 'plan' photos, I leave it up to chance unless of course I know there is some awesome weather going that will make things look more interesting.

So yes, on a morning with heavy dew I will go out and make a special effort to grab some misty morning shots.


at other times ... I just wander about and find something that may catch my eye.


and working with animals is never easy.  Especially those who have no intention of co-operating.


...and sometimes you just get lucky.
I did try and plan this shot with Morris on the hay bale.

While taking these shots yesterday, I was not looking for the rule of thirds, or placement of subject, perspective or carefully planning out shots.

But I found them to be personally satisfactory and I guess that is good enough for me.


However with today's modern cameras you can really have some fun with the features that are in camera.  

Not like the old days of film.  I can recall taking this photo with an ancient Pentax ME with manual focus and manual exposure.
Plus ... I had to take this shot in a blink of an eye...

Xena was not one to stand still for very long.


See?  Shot into the sun!
But this is still one of my favorite photos.
No rule of thirds...but just a nice shot of a dog from long ago...

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, that one of Morris on the hay bale is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.