Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hush of morning

I had to work until 4am on Saturday morning.  

I was a bit grumpy about that until I was headed home and realized that I could possibly be seeing one of the spring's most amazing sunrises.

I parked my Subaru on the ridge and got out.



I leaned against the warm hood and listened to the ticking of the engine as it cooled.

I watched glorious colors arrive slowly on the horizon.  Mists covered the pasture below me.  Birds began to call from far off and the world was still mine, sleepy, but still mine to behold.
In that moment between dark and dawn I came to realize that I was all right with the world.
I was all right with me.

And if one were religious [never was raised that way], I felt I'd been touched this morning by something I cannot explain.

I felt whole, I felt clean.  I felt cleansed.

And I lingered there until the light made day and then went home wishing I could hold all of that inside forever.

~~~

1 comment:

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.