Friday, July 06, 2012

Back in the Saddle

Some people may think that my jump right into riding Siera after Badger's death could be a bit heartless.
To tell you the truth, I always hoped and held out the belief that Badger would suddenly have a miracle cure...that he'd jump back to his formal self.
After watching him lose wieght and begin to suffocate and die before my eyes, I started to emotionally try to distance myself from him.  It hurt every day to see him stand and try to breathe.

I am sure that this recent heat wave would have done him in.  But....

But, a few years ago I met Siera, the mule I didn't think we needed.  The mule who decided that SHE was my best friend [aside from Badger].  I sensed in her a possibility of a 'Badger type relationship' and this was before Badger got ill.

It is rare that this sort of thing happens in the equine world.  A trust that is like no other that develops between human and equine.

Before Badger passed away, I couldn't concentrate on developing this special bond between me and Siera.  It just didn't feel right.  I felt like a traitor.

Now it is just the two of us.  [Granted, I have Opal, Fred, and Sunshine to ride too].  Siera has something that calls to my heart strings.
I think I'll go with the flow.  
She is proving to be a one of a kind mule.
The type that never comes along a second time.

I think I am blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.