Friday, December 23, 2011

Winter Solstice

This morning I celebrated the Winter Solstice which marks the beginning of Winter and the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.

How do you celebrate?
I usually like to take a nice long walk on the eve of the solstice and capture a sunset from up on the ridge.

[This taken in 2007]


This year, I didn't get the chance to walk up onto the ridge... but this morning...

I awoke and was able to sit in the kitchen with a cup of coffee and watch the morning sunrise paint the sky with beautiful pastel colors.

In the utter silence [except for the ticking of the heater in the living room], I sat and watched as the colors paled and gave way to a light blue sky.

The tips of the trees over the meadow were tipped with orange light.
The horses and mules all stood quietly as if observing the beautiful morning also.

As the light of day grew stronger I was able to watch a doe pick her way through the neighbor's woods.

*Welcome winter,* I thought.
Welcome.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful way to start the first day of winter. You know how much I envy you so I won't go into that again, but wow girl, you've got the best life! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.