Saturday, October 29, 2011

Riding Siera with a Garmin GPS





The day looked promising for getting in a ride. It was a tad bit windy, but I decided to throw caution 'to the wind' and saddle up Siera.

I'd just bought a Garmin eTrex GPS handheld unit. Did I need one? Not really.
Why?

Well because I am able to figure out how to operate the Trip~MPH~Distance menu.

And I wanted to see just how fast Siera walks out even in the rough woods of PeeWee's.

Oh.
Was I ever surprised.
Siera is a gaited Peruvian Paso Mule. She can walk extremely fast ... and she loves it. She has a very hard time backing off.
More than once I did make her stop, just so I could get a photo of her.

Not easy on a mule that averages 7 mph in the rough.
That my friends, is FAST.

We exited the woods, after doing my normal 'work out' route for Badger when he was being kept in shape for Limited Distance rides. She seemed to cover the route in a blink of the eye.

We headed out the road and gaited our merry way to the black top and back home.

Our average speed which included 15 minutes of being stopped [visiting with neighbors and taking photos].
Was 9 miles per hour.

We covered nearly 10 miles in an hour and a half. My count isn't truly accurate though because I'd forgotten to delete the previous 'trip'.

When I got home ... hubby came out and we tried Siera's new-old Stonewall saddle on her. Hubby has totally refurbished this.


It fits like a dream and weighs less than 12 pounds.

What a fantastic ride.
Thank you Siera.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.