Monday, October 10, 2011

The Last Hurrah of the leaves


The weather the past few days have been glorious for the first part of October. Partially warm nights with no frost and wonderfully ~~ almost ~~ hot days.

I did do other things besides ride.
But those were household and farming chores.

Opal, Siera, and Badger all got workouts these past few days. Lots of saddle time.

I got to see the last hurrah of the fall colors.



The winds on Saturday blew most of them down.

Yesterday I rode in a mostly bare forest, except for the oaks and some of those trees in the valley that were still clinging to their leaves.
I have a love~hate relationship with fall. I love to see all the beautiful colors in the trees. I love the autumn weather [warm days, cool nights].

But in the end, when the leaves have fallen, the land looks still and somewhat barren. Frost comes along and turns everything a sullen brown. The forest looks abandoned of life, yet I know too well that it isn't.

But for now, I'm going to grab every luscious moment of October and enjoy it to the fullest.

1 comment:

  1. That is why I would love to get out today and get what is left. Our leaves are at peak or a little past and are now all starting to blow away too. Beautiful time of year, isn't it? But soon winter winds will blow and the snow will cover everything...beautiful in its own way, but oh so cold!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.