Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Badger ~ Equine COPD~ Update

The final stages are occurring, the ones you won't see posted on the internet or any vet site.

His lungs are filling with fluid and mucus.
He has essentially stopped eating.

Symptoms~~

Respiration:
60+
Heart Rate:
40+

Lung noises, gurgling and raspy.
Depressed
Listless
Thick mucus is beginning to appear quite often as he coughs.
No interest in others around him or even me when I check him.

I'm arranging a humane way to put him down.

For those who may have an equine in this condition, I'm writing this with a sad heart, but I also feel that it is my way to help others who may want to know what the 'end game' looks like.

It hurts to see and watch this.
I can't help him and I feel useless.

I'm hoping to make the arrangements by this Friday if not sooner.

I'm sorry for those who have followed Badger's and my many adventures for the past 16 years together.
Soon Badger will be out of pain and will cross the Rainbow Bridge to join Cheyanne.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Val...this is never easy, but you know when the time is right.

    He and all your critters will be waiting for you at the Bridge...they love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry! Karen is right, you are right, but it doesn't take away the pain of what you are faced with now. Sweet Badger ... and your last act of love and respect for him. Thinking of you ... with tears in my eyes and pain in my heart. God speed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Val, my heart goes out to you. One of the hardest decisions to make and one you can't not make. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. So sorry...

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.