Friday, June 10, 2011

The Essence of A Dog~by Morris



The forest is a wonderland full of mysteries and scents.

I love the feel of the damp grass and ground under my paws. Each leaf that I pass gives me pause for there are smells that intrigue me.

What has been here? A deer, a rabbit, a ‘possum, skunk…or the intoxicating scent of a mouse!
My nose is on overload, my eyes follow HER. Except of course when I’m distracted by making sure the forest is marked with my scent.




The creek water is very cold but soothing. I jump off some rocks and wade through the water lapping at it with my tongue. It is crisp and so good tasting.


I find a deer trail and follow it up the muddy track. How enticing, I smell something absolutely exotic and wonderful. So I drop immediately and roll, making sure my shoulders and neck are covered.


This act will probably warrant an offending bath later. But alas, humans have absolutely no sense of smell do they?




I’ll delight my HER by behaving and suffering through an embarrassing bath when we get home. I’ll bring her toys and shake them for HER afterwards so she won’t feel bad.
I’ll run in circles and make HER laugh.

But for now, while in the enchanted forest, I’ll sniff, roll, and enjoy what it means to be a real and true dog.

At the end of the day, a nice meal of kibbles and a comfortable bed will await me.

After all, it IS a dog’s life!





1 comment:

  1. ... A prowling and a growling and a sniffing the air. That's got to be one of the best little photos that you've taken of Morris. It so defines him.
    And it would be great if Morris could accompany Maddie on one of our hikes. I'm sure he could teach her a lot about prowling the great woods.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.